Photo Franck GUIGO - Parc National du Mercantour
If you like to hike on skis you will find an unlimited number of aims in the Mercantour national Park. Beware, of course, the wheather and the avalanches.
No summer-ski in the Maritime Alps. The season usually starts around November or December and ends in April.
Several ski resorts with different features. of course you can also go there in summer to enjoy many sports-related activities.
- the largest ones are Auron and Isola 2000. They can't be compared with Morzine-Avoriaz but they are fairly large and will enable you to vary your itinerary in the day. Going back to Nice at the end of the week-end usually involves road jammings, the 2 resorts being linked to the coast through the same Tinée valley.
- Valberg is a little smaller and lower.
- Valdeblore la Colmiane and Gréolières are smaller, located at a lower altitude (therefore sometimes with less snow), but are large enough for riders who are loooking for a less "show-off" and more family-friendly atmosphere.
- Camp d'Argent is a really tiny resort with only 2 runs. It is located just North and above the Turini pass (well known among the Monte Carlo Rallye fans). It is perfect for children who begin or to spend one day in the mountains without the crowd of the larger resorts.
- the Boréon offers only cross-country skiing.
See them on the map.